Music download forum - Your music community: Working as a musician while traveling, how profitable really is? - Music download forum - Your music community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Working as a musician while traveling, how profitable really is?

#1 User is offline   Homster

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

I would like to hear everybody's opinion on this topic for real.

I saw most post about jobs in other places teaching english, writing their adventures on a blog, programming or whatever but what about the music area, and i mean every aspect of it: teaching music, playing it, getting a band for a gig or to tour anywhere, also which instrument is more likely to be profitable overseas?

as for me i play drum since 2002 and i madly want to live and die for make a living playing drums when i begin my travel in april.

love to hear more from other people on this topic.
Don't tune, just listen!

#2 User is offline   Gregam530

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Hey!!
I've been playing guitar and sax for about 5 years each... I'd say those are both very profitable instruments if you're good at them, because you can play at pubs, or at gigs with different bands... The big issue is that with guitar, you have to be really good at it, and be able to sing cuz that's what it's mostly looked for...

Saxophone? I use to play on a blues duo, or just by myself, using backing tracks! When i traveled overseas (from Chile to washington DC) I got the chance to play on my high school jazz band, and into Takoma Park Jazz Festival, with a jazz combo! I'd say my sax is definitely my most successful instrument :)

About drums, idk, it's hard because you always need to carry your instrument with you in order to work... It's also easier to ask for a guitar, a drumset? idk, i don't know many ppl who'll lend theirs...

Take care, good luck about it!

#3 User is offline   Channing

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Thanks for your reply Sebastian. Certainly carrying a drum can be an unnecessary pain in the neck but i expect to find a drum in any pub, with a band or i don??t know hehehe.

I read you did a good job with the sax. Other than playing in festivals, did you get any payment while traveling playing both instruments?

#4 User is offline   Marlboro

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

I didn't get payed while traveling because I was underage (for pubs) in the states... I work as a musician in my hometown right now, but i know cases of people who has gotten paid while traveling. Most of them are guys who play smaller instruments though... (as i told u, easy to carry is a convenience most times)
Well, anyway, good luck!! I hope you can make a good profit out of your music while traveling!

#5 User is offline   DJLama

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

You are not likely to find a paying gig without your own drums. In Canada and U.S.A. most clubs do not have a drum set just waiting for you so you have to bring your own. Even when they do you often need to bring at least your own cymbals. There's a couple great sounding travel kits on the market that make transport easier but come at a cost. At least try to put a small kit together. Kick, Hi-hat, Ride/splash and Snare will get you really far. You can also extend your kit with small percussion add-ons like wood blocks, bongos etc. all sorts of great sounds from small percussion can allow you to express yourself and find a market for yourself all while traveling light.

#6 User is offline   Channing

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Hi, Maybe you could sign up to some agency for playing on cruise ships this can pay quite well. However in general i have found that being a musician is not very profitable. A lot of places want you to play but they don't want to pay (or not very much anyway)

#7 User is offline   Fliven

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

For what i read seems a little hard to get profitable on music.

Adam: did you know a cruise agency online where i can know more about the vacancies?

#8 User is offline   PorfirioB

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

I'll try to get some links from my friend he used to play on cruises. I also met a guy last night who is travelling europe and playing in the streets, he said the money is sometimes pretty good but he did get robbed once in Czech Republic when someone punched him in the face and took his money.

#9 User is offline   Bonder

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Hey, my sister used to work as an artist on a cruise ship. They have shows every night with live band. It's a company from the UK: _www.oceanvillageholidays.co.uk/
If you're really interested I'll ask my sister to get you the number of the responible boss.
cheers.. Roli

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users