Music download forum - Your music community: Ethnomusicology! Music around the world! - Music download forum - Your music community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ethnomusicology! Music around the world!

#1 User is offline   Greative

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Hello fellow Surfers! My name is Aaron. I hope you are all having a great and wonderful day and I want to thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and I will try to keep it short and to the point.

I have taken up a new hobby that will involve me traveling all over the world for several months. Its called Ethnomusicology! For those of you who are unfamiliar with this term, it means the cultural study of music. I am in the process of acquiring sound and video equipment and my goal is to travel the world and record people singing and dancing. I will be creating a documentary of songs that have previously never been documented and heard by the western world.

Here is how I need YOUR HELP! I need to be familiarized with the locations and whereabouts of STRONG musical culture and talent around the world. Preferably tribal music and music of heavy cultural influence. I will be backpacking with my equipment and need to know where to go and where I can stay. I may also have a friend helping. So anyone who can host one or two people and has knowledge of music please contact me!

There is a organization called ???Playing For Change??? that I suggest you take a look at. Here is a Youtube clip of a song they put together. This will give you an idea of what I am trying to do. _www.youtube_com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM

If you could please help me out by sharing this post with your friends it would be so helpful!

To reply to this message please search my screen name (MAXWELLTX) as you might be getting this message from someone other than myself! Thank you for your time and keep surfing!

#2 User is offline   Bonder

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

That is such a great idea. Carry on and good luck!

#3 User is offline   XbeatX

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Thanks for your suport Vladimir! Any ideas on where I might go? Looks like The RITE festavil is calling my name in French Pyrenees!

#4 User is offline   eboom

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

I guess the closest place is Mexico for you. I absolutely like the idea of Ethnomusicology. And I always instinctively try to stick to the places in a country I travel where I can hear that sort of music.
If you happen to be around my city we obviously find a place to stay for you and all of your assistants.

#5 User is offline   DJLama

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

its a wonderful way to travel and dream of doing it myself one day- i hope you have done a lot of good research in musical and anthropology libraries on previous projects -as there are many who have gone before you. tread softly- be aware you are not giving much by taking record of others in fact you may be opening them up to exploitation and clearly they have more to offer you then you them. - make sure the ones who are recorded, understand what you plan to do with the recordings and are happy about that- dont lead people on unless you can deliver and always give credit to those who take you in and make an effort to give them back something more meaningful in return -not then just your verbal thanks and so long. really think about what you can do for others in relation to this goal of yours.

#6 User is offline   XbeatX

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

This doesn't exactly come from the French Pyrenees but it sounds very ethnological, especially with Peter Farb and his essay about Man??ôs Rise to Civilization As Shown by the Indians of North America from Primeval Times to the Coming of the Industrial State, featuring PSG's poetry, I mean the Ghost dance =

The Ghost dance was a movement initiated by the plains Indians in the late 19th century in order to resurrect their forefathers-those gone from form, under the influence of the Mormons on their way to the Great Salt Lake. A system to survive, revive, and conquer. The beauty of the dance was the call to convene, communication w/past and future thru the sounds and rythumns of the present.

The failure of the dance was its racial aspect. No souls-living or transcending were welcome if not American Indian : here we are father holy Ghost, ahe-yuhe-hu! We shall live again, shake out the Ghost dance, we shall live again...

#7 User is offline   PorfirioB

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Collaboration Between Musicians Via Net
Hello.. Boys and Girls.. !! ;D

I'm looking for boys & girls who play and know his/her instrument enough good. I look for collaboration between us. I'm an engineer and producer of VA styles of music. So, my idea is if you can record your playing, your singing and send me it through the net. I will make an arrangement, mix, audio process and everything what is needed to get the final product like a song or audio performance. We can than offer our collaboration to market places and to people who are interested in such collaborations.

If you'd like to see more about my work from the past and in the present future see the next pages...

I hope everything good... Matej aka. The Crazy Nutss..

_www.myspace_com/djcrazynuts
_soundcloud_com/user12562
_www.facebook_com/CrazyNutsss
-----------------------------------------------------------
I started to merging the artist around the world. I know the background businesses for labels and managers so I decided to do it my way. It's like the world , divided in two parts: Politics and people. in the music is the same.... So come to the project and we will get the public. I'd like slowly slowly get the mass of the music material with musicians around the world. My idea is to make a CD compilation with songs produced with the artists founded on CS around the world. We'll be like one big family everyone in his own room.

So, as I did write I like from anyone to play your ideas on your instruments. Record your playing and send it. I will collect the material from all. When I get enough takes I will put together what I got.

Yes.. I know that let's say that is problem for you to play if you don't have any base on the back [Drum, Bass,..]. Let make it as a two or three reagons of the main base [under this reagon the song will be known] and the other parts let to be experimental. I can make the drum, base and other parts but it'd be better if I got the parts of drums, bass, synth, and others from the others ...

Send me your e-mail address, so I can send you some my tracks, where i have support only from my guitar man...

Everybody can send me your takes on : Ljsnik@Gmail_com

Let's start a new way of doing the music together !!

#8 User is offline   Fliven

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Hi Aaron,

Great idea! Coincidentally I met a world music journalist whom also wants to work on documenting musicians. I work with film, musicians and traveling as well. Are you planning to come to Europe sometime soon? In the end of February we will be meeting with some other filmmakers as well to start with new projects. You are welcome to join, it will be in either Amsterdam or Brussels.

#9 User is offline   Bonder

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Hi everybody!!!

I'm a French student in Ireland I studying viola and for my pass time I play ukulele and writting songs! :) I'm really interrested by ethnomusicology , I studying it at school and I love music around the world , Maybe one day I will do like you!!!! For the moment I'm volonter for you I can play almost what ever you want , if you come in Ireland (there is lot of traditional music here and wonderfull landscapes ;) or in France , let me know!!! bye!!!

#10 User is offline   Homster

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Hi Aaron!

My name is Mehmet from Turkey. I'm a musician,too and I work as a research assistan at state conservatory in Mardin Turkey.

I interest ethnomusicology,too and Im sure that Turkey is the best place for your researchs..

If you have any problem or question you can send message..
Don't tune, just listen!

#11 User is offline   herobrine

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Hi Aaron!

My name is Mehmet from Turkey. I'm a musician,too and I work as a research assistan at state conservatory in Mardin Turkey.

I interest ethnomusicology,too and Im sure that Turkey is the best place for your researchs..

If you have any problem or question you can send message..

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users