Music download forum - Your music community: making a documentary on the music scene in europe - Music download forum - Your music community

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

making a documentary on the music scene in europe

#1 User is offline   Homster

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hi

I'm traveling europe in a caravan starting november til aroung february to make a music doc on the european music scene. I have plenty of time and lots of tape. I would love some suggestions on your favorite bands - music ect in any and all european countries.
Is there a particular club or pub you think I should check out?
Has a friend turned you on to an amazing band?
Have you discovered a new artist that you can't stop listening to?
Do you think there is a special music scene happening somewhere in particular?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
And maybe I'll see you on the road !

x
Tina
Don't tune, just listen!

#2 User is offline   Channing

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hello Tina...

I work in a concert hall in my home city Porto, in Portugal, and I really think that if you have the chance and the time, you should come here and check it out! The place is called "Casa da Musica" and translated to English is kind of Music House! It's a venue well known for it's "strange" forms and contemporary architecture, designed by the famous Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas (check out some pictures on this site _www.pbase_com/diasdosreis/casa_musica )! It's open already for 3 years, and has the door's open to all kinds of music, from jazz, classical, contemporary, to pop, electronic and rock! Here you can have an insight of not only Portuguese music, but also European in general, just have to find the right dates to come! So well, if you are interested, I can gladly help you with info, make you a special guided tour, and of course host you here during that time if you need!

Hope my info helps you, and good luck for your project!

Best wishes

Ricardo Torres

#3 User is offline   Fliven

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hi Ricardo,

wow...that sounds amazing !!
I would love to have the oppourtunity to come visit portugal and casa de musica!
what are the best dates to visit?
is there music most every nite?
I really do appreciate the response and your time.

thanks so much
x
Tina

#4 User is offline   herobrine

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

ola tina!

great idea you got there.
im adi, 27 currently in lisbon portugal

im play the iranian santur, classical and my own melodies.
if you come to lisbon, ill be glad to coporate with you.

best of luck on your journey

love
adi

#5 User is offline   facebulk

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Hi Tina.
Very nice idea you have there. If u get to Romania than tell me and I will put u in contact with some persons that are events managers, or musicians (really known musicians) and some other personalities so that you can have a whole image of Balcanic music. You must stay at least 2 weeks and travel around Romania cause you have a lot to listen to.
Good luck!

#6 User is offline   Bodypainter

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Hi Tina,

I've just posted information on a project i'm working on called Olivers Itch up on this group board and was advised by another CS member Gianfranco to check out your post, if your interested in having a read of my post and would like to hook up at some point let me know.
Cheers
Hugh

#7 User is offline   eboom

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Hey Tina,
If you venture to England at all i think you should definitely check out Brighton for its music scene, its alive with a vast number of music genres and pubs/clubs and venues at every turn.
A particular favourite of mine is a tiny venue called Concorde2 which is situated right by the sea and about 20 minutes walk from the pier.
They host a large mixture of bands ranging in popularity and size, only last year the Foo Fighters played there!

I strongly recommended that you check it out, I've had so many phenomenal gigs there that I've lost count!

#8 User is offline   Gregam530

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Paradiso in Amsterdam is a absolute legend. It's an old church converted to a rock venue. I would definately recommend it.

#9 User is offline   Channing

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

hey Tina,
there is a band called Jamaram which I discovered I Munich. So if you come to Germany, you should definitely visit one of there concerts. you find there tour dates on there homepage www_jamaram.de. you can also listen to some of there music on the homepage.
so i which you good luck with you??r project i think t??s a great idea and i hope to hear more from you
louisa

#10 User is offline   XbeatX

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Raluca...thanks so much for the help!
I will be visiting Romania for sure !
I would love to contact you... would that be ok ?

#11 User is offline   SlimJim

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

hi adi....i will be in lisbon and would love to contact you !! is this ok ?

#12 User is offline   Gregam530

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

hugh....yes ... let#s get together when i'm in dublin...would be happy to hear more about your project !

#13 User is offline   Polecat

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

hi thomas...i'm in essex at the moment only by chance...the locals are not so keen on sharing music info here...but i am returning to london..lets keep in contact !!

#14 User is offline   PorfirioB

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

jeroen...i've been there and plan to return for this project....the place is amazing !!! : )

#15 User is offline   Bonder

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

louisa....i will be in berlin in a few days and will check this out ...thanks soo much !!
can i contact you ??

#16 User is offline   Greative

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

hi! this is probably a bit biased since I live in the middle of it. but I really do think you should check out the current indie music scen in gothenburg. it's quite big internationally in some aspects, with artists as jens lekman, the tough alliance, air france and more.
and beneath that there are numerous levels of bands/artists/groups and some labels, feeding and refueling inspiration onto each other. I believe it really is a particular scene, a small universe. if you ask people here about contemporary indie music, the first 5 names they'll drop will be from gothenburg in some way.
I'll feel that myself, I read a thread here at CS named something like "top 100 indie songs from last year". I felt alienated as f**, I recognized some names (hot chip, klaxons and something) but I've never listened to them and was surprised to see them labeled "indie" since I've never heard anyone in the scene here talk about them, I've only heard about them from like magazines or TV.

check out this site:

_www.sincerelyyours.se/
it's a "label" that is kind of quintessential to all this. overflowing with symbolism and with an air of rebelling momentum about it.

another special thing here is how some bands from the states and UK have a huge following here. more, earlier and longer efter their break than in many other cities (swedish or not), examples of this is london band fosca, pains of being pure at heart (us), lots of the sarah records bands, dan treacy/Television personalities and especially the now dismantled Long island based postpunk/indie-cult of "My favorite". they're really heroes around here. I don't think they have that status in other places.

and oh yeah, geography: gothenburg is second biggest city of sweden, 500 000 people, biggest harbour (though declining) in scandinavia. located just between copenhagen, oslo and stockholm, about 3-4 hours with train to each of those cities. volvo cars are being built here but that is also rapidly declining.

#17 User is offline   Bodypainter

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Hey Tina!

As for Berlin, I'd suggest "The Whitest Boy Alive".
_www.whitestboyalive_com/
Nice mixture of people, I think.

Keep us posted!

xo

Michaela

#18 User is offline   Channing

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

p.s:
a nice location for live gigs (small/alternative) in Berlin is the Caf? Zapata.

_www.cafe-zapata.de/

#19 User is offline   Greative

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Sounds cool Tina,

I'm actually not in Dublin at the moment i'm in Berlin...will actually probably head back to Dublin in the middle of the month as i need to get reorganised as ive had a much larger response to Olivers Itch than i actually expected literally from all over Europe and as far a Brazil...

Hope your documentary is going well and i look forward to talking to you ;-)

#20 User is offline   Bonder

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

I'm in Berlin ..... where to go to hear some good music ????

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users